The initial batch of mozzarella. Can’t go wrong, no aging, and pretty easy.
A simple, easy first-time cheese
- 1 gallon whole milk, not ultra-pasteurized
- 1/2 rennet tablet
- 2 tsp citric acid
- 1/2 tsp calcium chloride
- 3/4 tsp fine cheese salt
- 1/2 c cool distilled water
- Dissolve citric acid and calcium chloride into 1/4 c distilled water. Stir and set aside.
- Dissolve rennet tablet into a separate 1/4 c distilled water. Stir and set aside.
- Gently heat whole milk in a 6 qt stainless steal pot.
- At 55°F, add citric acid, calcium chloride solution.
- At 88°F, remove pot from burner and add rennet solution, stirring in via an up and down motion for 30 seconds.
- Return milk to heat and bring to 105°F.
- Remove milk from heat and cover for 20 min.
- When the curds begin to pull away from the side and the whey is clear, proceed.
- Scoop out curds with a slotted spoon and place in a 5 qt microwavable bowl.
- Press curds with your hand or spoon and pour off as much whey as possible. Set aside the whey.
- Microwave curds on high for 1 min.
- Drain all excess whey, fold curds adding 3/4 tsp cheese salt.
- Microwave curds on high for 30 sec.
- Drain all excess whey and fold curds. Repeat heating, draining, folding until smooth and elastic.
- Stretch the curds. If they break, reheat. Once the curds stretch like taffy, the cheese is done.
- Serve warm or place in ice water for 30 min to provide smooth texture.
Kit from Austin Homebrew Supply. $4.99 for rennet tablet, citric acid, calcium chloride, cheese salt for four batches. We used organic milk, ~$6 at HEB.